Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_4_] John Grossbohlin[_4_] is offline

Default Pretend you know an idiot...

"Greg Guarino" wrote in message

On May 1, 12:59 pm, "dadiOH" wrote:

Strip, scrape, whatever to get to wood. No need to do so everywhere,
just where the pencil marks are.

OK. So I used a card scraper. Although I'm still convinced I haven't
succeeded in preparing the edge properly, it made short work of
removing the poly and pencil marks. Thanks to the several people who
suggested it.

Experiment a bit... you'll find that subtle changes in how you prepare the
edge can make material differences in the performance. While experimenting
take careful note of what you did so you can repeat what worked!

I only scraped the three areas where the pencil marks were. To recap,
it's the edge of a face frame, 3/4 wide. I've now got 3 areas each 3"
long or so with no finish out of 5 feet. If I reapply the same finish
( 4 coats of wiping poly) in those areas, it really won't look uneven?
Should I just coat the whole edge instead? Or at least on the last
coat?

With new work like this I'd be inclined to scrape the entire edge, give the
corner a light sanding, and apply new finish to the entire length. The
scraper will make short work of the poly and the whole process will go
faster than feathering the existing finish, spot finishing, leveling, and
rubbing out to make it look uniform...