Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default Reinforce Roof Against Falling Trees?

Frank wrote:
On 5/6/2013 5:26 PM, Nona wrote:
Hi! We are about to get our roof replaced but are looking into
structural changes to make the roof safer in the event of severe
weather. We live in an area that has occasional hurricanes and even small tornadoes.

Our property has hundreds of tall oak trees (approximately 1-2 feet in
diameter x 70 feet? tall) that are gorgeous but certainly dangerous
should they fall on the house. It is not a realistic option to remove
all the trees and bracing all of the trees would result in a spiderweb
of wires all over the place that is not a safe or realistic option either.

Is there anything we can do to improve our own safety with respect to
these trees? I have seen too many news stories during hurricanes where
people were killed when a tree fell on their roof.

We have a two-story gable roof with plywood sheathing and architectural
shingles. Would it help to reinforce the trusses with horizontal or
cross metal braces? Could we put metal sheathing beneath the plywood?
Our goal is not to make the roof impervious to trees but rather to give
us at least a small amount of time to escape the house safely should a
heavy tree fall on the roof.

Only safe thing you can do is cut down any tree that would endanger the
house if it fell. I'm sure its not all of the trees.

I'm worried about mine, which are so close to the house.the biggest trunk
has my water line tied up. The power company is going to trim soon. I'm
going to ask how much can they do.

Greg