Posted to uk.d-i-y
F Murtz F Murtz is offline

Default Crimp without crimp tool ?

Frank Erskine wrote:
On Fri, 03 May 2013 22:34:45 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Fri, 03 May 2013 17:25:42 +0100, Clive George wrote:

Doesn't sound as if the work could be taken to a friendly spark to be
done where they happen to be working. Trying to borrow a suitable
crimp tool would be my approach to start with.

TBH 21 quid isn't that much for the tool.

True but it's 1/3 of the weeks supermarket bill...

Yes, it's a bit painful in comparison to the cost of the crimps, but
I'd justify it as 11 quid a joint and you end up with a potentially
useful tool.

How often are you likely to do 16mm crimps? I'm with the OP it'll be
these two and that's it. I guess one could buy a tool that does more than
16mm but again these are big not the red/yellow/blue that one would find
in domestic wiring. Buying and flogging on eBay to recoup some of the
cost might be a possibilty.

Just wrap the wires around the terminals if you aren't happy about
soldering or proper crimping.
To be honest, I've always considered crimping to be a fast,
semi-skilled process - an inferior substitute for proper
termination/jointing, whether on 16mm wire ends or BNC plugs.

Isn't crimping also a hairdressing term?

(d&rfc)

Crimping is often the superior method and in some cases essential.