Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Crimp without crimp tool ?

In article , Rick Hughes
scribeth thus
In article ,
Rick Hughes wrote:
I could do without the flexibility ....
But to solder these lugs onto 16mm2 copper cable will take a lot of heat
... and that means the PVC insulation will be damaged a significant
length away form fitting.

No more so than soldering any PVC covered cable. You just need to take
some care.

My worry was while I can happily solder a piece of 0.25mm2 PVC flex with
ease using soldering iron .... this 16mm2 plus copper lug is going to
act as a big heatsink and take a lot of heat from blow torch .... I know
this is not much different to soldering 28mm Cu pipes .... but they
don;t have PVC sheath :-)

Maybe I'll just have to try it.

Just get on with it Rick, it is not rocket science!. Use a small gas
blowlamp get the joint hot quick, solder quick and make sure it "runs"
into the joint OK.

Have a damp rag handy to hold the plastic sheathing in and cool it
quickly.

Or beg steal or borrow the right crimps then. By the look of the cable
size its going to take quite some current and you really don't want a
high resistance duff joint else look forward to arcing and fire and
smoke and damage!...
--
Tony Sayer