Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Crimp without crimp tool ?

In article ,
Rick Hughes writes:
In article ,
Rick Hughes wrote:
I could do without the flexibility ....
But to solder these lugs onto 16mm2 copper cable will take a lot of heat
... and that means the PVC insulation will be damaged a significant
length away form fitting.

No more so than soldering any PVC covered cable. You just need to take
some care.

My worry was while I can happily solder a piece of 0.25mm2 PVC flex with
ease using soldering iron .... this 16mm2 plus copper lug is going to
act as a big heatsink and take a lot of heat from blow torch .... I know
this is not much different to soldering 28mm Cu pipes .... but they
don;t have PVC sheath :-)

Maybe I'll just have to try it.

I sometimes solder inaccessible T&E connections, although I don't
know if you are using standard T&E.

The PVC insulation on 70C T&E PVC does seem to be significantly less
able to withstand soldering than that on most connecting wires which
you are likely to have soldered. If you solder it, make sure there
are no forces on the PVC, e.g. dead straight into the connector or
it will peel off the conductor as it attemps to straighten out, and
nothing pressing against it as it will push through.

--
Andrew Gabriel