Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gazz Gazz is offline

Default Crimp without crimp tool ?

"Tim+" wrote in message
Rick Hughes wrote:
I need to crimp 2 16mm x 8 uninsulated lugs onto some 16mm stranded
cable.
These - http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BHLUG16.html

I don't possess a crimp tool for uninsulated lugs, very rare need (for
me) - simply not worth £21 cost for 2 crimps.
Typical I have insulated lug crimps, RJ45,RJ11,BT631A, RG58/59, CT100,
etc. ... but not this type.
I don't want to solder on as it will reduce flexibility at joint, and
could result in failure in future.

Any body any suggestion of neat way of doing this without the tool ?

Pliers ?
Molegrips ?
Vice jaws ?
make up something to use in vice jaws ?

Take it to an auto-electrical man. I did this for a heavy duty cable for
an
inverter. Crimped two connections and supplied a 100amp fuse (+holder)
for a tenner. Money well spent IMO.

If you are near nottingham, i have one, just a cheapie hydraulic crimper
from china, but it does the job perfectly, the dies are hex shaped, and i
made up a load of cables for connecting 6 batteries in paralell and series a
while ago, along with current shunt leads, bus bar connections, inverter
leads and so on, was for an 800 AH battery bank and monitoring system in my
motorhome, cable was the stuff used for big arc welder earth leads,

Or as others have said, an auto electrician should have the tool, usually
the manual one with 6 foot long handles, but when i last wanted that
service, i had to wait for the bloke to have a free few minutes, and that
took 3 weeks to come around.

Tho tbh my hydraulic crimper is just like a vise in use, one fixed jaw,
other connected to the ram, pump the handle to move them together with a few
tons of force, and the dies are made of alli, so easy enough to make if you
have a lump of alli laying about,
Not sure of the size of the die needed tho, i'd say mine crimps them a good
3 or 4 mm tighter than they start out, and no way i could pull one free
after crimping.