Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Other Mike[_3_] The Other Mike[_3_] is offline

Default Crimp without crimp tool ?

On Thu, 02 May 2013 22:38:51 +0100, Rick Hughes
wrote:

I need to crimp 2 16mm x 8 uninsulated lugs onto some 16mm stranded
cable.
These - http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BHLUG16.html

I don't possess a crimp tool for uninsulated lugs, very rare need (for
me) - simply not worth £21 cost for 2 crimps.
Typical I have insulated lug crimps, RJ45,RJ11,BT631A, RG58/59, CT100,
etc. ... but not this type.
I don't want to solder on as it will reduce flexibility at joint, and
could result in failure in future.

If you are concerned about solder affecting the flexibility of the joint and
crimping being ok then you need to supply better support to the cable because
the lug will fail regardless of how you terminate it.

Soldering, if done correctly, hardly affects the cable

Clamp the lug between a couple of bits of wood

Tin the cable, heat the lug with a small blowtorch, fill with proper tin lead
flux cored solder keeping it molten Ensure flux is still present and not boiled
off. insert the cable into the lug and post heat for a few seconds so the solder
properly flows. Observe the solder change to solid then cool with a damp rag to
reduce any insulation damage.

Allow to fully cool, heatshrink sleeve the lug and the first inch or so of the
cable preferably with adhesive lined heatshrink.

Had some like that on a competition vehicle for nearly two decades and they are
still ok.