Posted to sci.electronics.repair
tuinkabouter tuinkabouter is offline

Default Rechargeable Cell Size Standards -was- Actual Size of 4/3 A NIMHCells With Tabs Length Dimension

On 01.05.2013 13:35, Wild_Bill wrote:
I get dizzy roaming around from one supplier/manufacturer to another
looking for any standards as they apply to differently sized cells.

Where do the 18650, 17670 and (fractional) A sizes come from? EIA now
known as ECIA, IP&E, iNEMI?
Probably not EIA/ECIA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EIA_standards
IEC, maybe.
I've looked at the consumer battery size charts (wiki etc) and haven't
seen anything that's even close to being concise.

Great Googly Moogly.

Update:
I bought some used OEM battery packs and upon opening one, found the
length of the cells to be about 63mm (63.4 x 18mm dia). The skins are
marked NT410LAH, but the actual metal shell is marked H410LAH-C under
the skin (also 1K05F likely a date/production number).
These cells are stated to be 4100mAh NIMH. Coincidently, GC brand has a
GC410LAH cell.

Previously posted in Feb, I was inquiring about cell lengths.
Excerpt:
I received my order of 4/3 A NIMH 4500mAh cells (with tabs) and they
measure
closer to 66.11mm in length (not 66.25 mentioned previously).

Apparently, it's another issue of non-standardized "standards".

Specs for 18650 flat top cells show 65.5 x 18mm.
Most sellers show flat top 4/3A cells as over 65 x 17mm
Specs for 17670 flat top cells show 66/67 x 17.5mm

As a point of levity, an Amazon seller shows 4/3A flat top cells to be:
Width: 0.66" Height: 2.61" Diameter: 0.69"

I saw a mention of a 7/5A cell size.. really? Can't come up with another
letter?
So maybe the OEM cells in this instance are 14/12A.

Panasonic OEM/industrial chart shows "18670 (L-Fat-A)" cells.. but no
4/3A size.

Dizzy I tellya.

Almost all battery powered devices has springs in the battery holders.
Why do you think the springs are for?

I thing you are hunting ghosts.