Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D.[_9_] Danny D.[_9_] is offline

Default Is there a pool pump fitting adapter to stop this incessantleak?

On Wed, 01 May 2013 07:33:16 -0700 Oren wrote:

I'm not sure about the stranded wire?

Thanks for doublechecking for me.

I'm not sure if I was supposed to get stranded, but, the
existing wire is apparently 10AWG stranded - so that's why
I got the same for the extension wire.

Here's a shot of the existing wires I took just now:

You'll notice that I need to cut off about 6 inches because
they're all busted up from spinning the motor and tugging
them through the tiny restriction of the 1/2 inch to 1 inch
elbow.

You'll see that the darn wires, with the connectors crimped
on, do not fit in the half-inch elbow easily - but that's
the size of the pump opening - so not much can be done
about it I guess.

Are those wire nuts the size you need?

Thanks for doublechecking as I've never done 220 volt wiring
before - and this is the largest diameter wire I've ever done.

Here's a closeup of the package I just snapped to clarify:

It "says":
20AWG to 10AWG, Medium Direct Bury Waterproof Connectors

Of course, I could have gotten just regular wire nuts;
but I figured these were better (what I really expected was
that there was some kind of bolted down connection sort of
like there is in a fuse panel).

Bonding wire ... Did you get some?

Ah, thanks for asking as I hadn't mentioned it, but,
you actually noticed it's not there.

I appreciate that you're thinking of what's to come!

Since I'm not sure where the pumps will actually end up,
I figured I'd get that solid wire last since it's not
a "functional" requirement. (Yes, I know, it's a safety
requirement - so what I'll do is clamp to the existing
bonding wire when testing or more likely - I'll run with
the dark horses & just stay a few feet away while testing.)