Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Pretend you know an idiot...

Greg Guarino wrote:
On 4/30/2013 1:31 PM, Edward A. Falk wrote:
In article ,
John Grossbohlin wrote:
"Greg Guarino" wrote in message

... and this purely hypothetical idiot asks you for advice with the
following problem:

I'd use a card scraper if I ever made a mistake like that...

I was going to suggest laser ablation, but a card scraper would
have been my second choice. Plus, I don't have a laser.

I've got a card scraper; one, to be exact. I bought a honing rod from
Hock too. But I do not believe I have yet produced a really usable
edge. I've watched some videos and taken brief stabs at it, but
there's still something missing. That something is quite likely
"practice", but it still leaves me a little wary of using this method
on something I put so much work into.

Ya know Greg - like Bill, you need to just step out and try some things. So
what if you make a mistake? The worst that comes from it is that you learn.
You just can't keep asking every single little step of every little thing,
every little bit, along the way. Just do it man! Do it and if you screw it
up, do it again. Guys like you and Bill have to come to understand that you
cannot avoid every possible occurrance by asking questions. Like Leon has
said - we all screw up. So - go after it and figure out how to deal with
it. You can do it... Don't ask - just try. You can do it...

--

-Mike-