Posted to uk.rec.driving,alt.electronics
Steve Firth Steve Firth is offline

Default LED car lights flicker - no need!

Nick Finnigan wrote:

On 28/04/2013 13:48, Steve Firth wrote:

CFLs are quoted as 46-75 lm/W[1];

glow. I replaced four 25W E14 R50 bulbs in downlighters with 4x14W CFLs
(280 lm; 20 lm/W according to the info sheet). The light output was
appaLling and resulted in needing to use two standard lamps and a table
lamp in that room as well as the CFLs just to see what one was doing.

Well, yes, 1000 lumens isn't enough. But why were they so low?

Primarily because CFLs are ****e, one assumes.

Are you aware of any E14/R50 CFLs with better light output? These were
the best that I could find and they didn't have the same dimensions as a
standard R50 bulb. The Ikea CFLs do have the same dimensions and have
even lower light oputput.

I'm not that bothered, the LEDs provide more light and use less power,
and actually fit the downlighter. At that point I stop worrying about
CFLs which are now dodo technology.

--
Burn Hollywood burn, burn down to the ground