Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Student arrested, suspended after argument with teacher over NRA shirt

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 08:54:02 -0400, "ATP"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
news snippage

ATP
Accountable for teaching kids basic competency in Math, English, etc.. The
APPR process he is attacking is a performance review system. This is all
stuff that the gambler William Bennett has been pushing for years.

And the result is pretty much what that teacher describes -- robots,
taught to the test.

Did you know they don't teach geography as a subject anymore? It's not
part of the "core curriculum." They slip in a little bit with social
studies.

So the college kid who's working as a substitute in a local school
asks one of the teachers when they put Ohio next to Pennsylvania.

I'll bet he's good at math, though....

--
Ed Huntress

Teaching to the test was never a problem for teachers of AP courses or
(optional) Regents level classes. The problem now is that every kid has to
take standardized tests- and I think we may be running up against the bell
curve and a variety of home environment factors that are going to leave some
children behind.

For geography, how NYers see the rest of the country:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwAw&dur=549

g This is the one we had framed on our wall in the art dept. at
_American Machinist_, when it was located in Rockefeller Center:

http://tinyurl.com/cyyxu8r

--
Ed Huntress