Posted to uk.rec.driving,alt.electronics
Steve Firth Steve Firth is offline

Default LED car lights flicker - no need!

Clive George wrote:

On 28/04/2013 13:48, Steve Firth wrote:

Also the CFLs weren't cheap, costing £5 each, the LEDs were £6 each but
worth the extra for the light output and efficiency.

Got a brand/supplier for the LEDs?

The brand is Peritus. The supplier was the usual "some guy on eBay"
which I suspect is a front for Peritus, charging less than their prices
on Amazon.

I had a bit of trouble finding them again since they didn't leave
feedback after I bought the bulbs. They have an eBay shop:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Ivys-shop

They charged about £6.50/bulb if bought individually and £60(ish) for
ten or more with free postage. I bought a mix of MR16 and E14 R50 from
them a year ago, so far I'm pleased with the bulbs.

The ones I chose were the 21xSMD units which put the SMD elements
directly behind the front glass of the bulb. This gives even
illumination over a wide area. They also have units with a number of 1W
packages in each bulb which I avoided because it seemed to me that these
would produce spot lighting.

These seem to have fallen in price and are now about £5.30 per bulb
bought in bulk.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-E14-SE...-/160590003951

And the MR16 has fallen to about £1.90/bulb which seems good VFM to me
compared to the price that Ikea charge for CFLs that don't illuminate
worth a damn.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-MR16-2...-/150606814415

I haven't changed the transformers used for the halogen lighting tracks
(yet). If I use all LED bulbs there's unacceptable flickering - the
bulbs don't draw enough current for the transformers to provide stable
output. A mix of three LED to 2 halogen bulbs keeps things stable. It's
noticeable that the 35W halogens have lower light output than the 3.5W
LEDs.

--
Burn Hollywood burn, burn down to the ground