Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Firmware updates... on sewing machines!

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 08:46:41 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Yes, well sewing machines are very complex these days. I always found them
fascinating in the old days, the number of different modes they had merely
controlled by mechanics, was truly classic engineering. Doing it with motors
and electronics is a bitof a cop out.

The daft thing is that apparently even Fridges in some cases are computer
controlled these days. My Remmington Shaver says it has a computer
controlled digital motor. Certainly it runs at the same speed for a very
long time then cuts out when it needs charging, so it obviously has some
kind of batter management system inside it.

Brian

I was looking at a new washing machine and noticed that it had a clock! That
means the machine needs to be left on and the delay timer is based on clock
time not just hours. What a waste of energy - probably several units a year
for no purpose.
At the extreme, I saw a review on an exercise machine that had a computer
for the various programmes and the machine wouldn't work when the computer
packed up! Somewhat missing the point of exercise.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away