Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Halfords switching power supply to power a Ring Automotive RAC610 12V Analogue (Tyre) Compressor

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 07:50:04 +0100, Tim+
wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
MM wrote:

I ordered a Ring Automotive RAC610 12V Analogue Compressor

I bought a Halfords switching
power supply model RL-816U, with the following spec:
DC Output: 13.6V +/- 5A 68W

elsewhere, I see the compressor is 85W

Why not run it from the car's cigar lighter? (with the engine running to
avoid flattening the battery).

+1. Can't quite see why you wouldn't want to just run it from your car's
battery.

I was worried about blowing the car's accessory socket. This isn't
actually a cigarette lighter any more. The Suzuki sales guy explained,
when I bought the car new in 2011, that Suzuki don't fit them any
more, because people were connecting all manner of accessories to them
when the socket was only rated high enough to heat the lighter's
element. So now Suzuki call it an accessory socket (or words to that
effect, since the actual owner handbook is in the car outside).

I'm glad I asked, because if the Halfords unit isn't powerful enough,
I'll just use the car's socket with the engine running.

MM