Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
J.B.Slocomb J.B.Slocomb is offline

Default Outside metal rod

On Sun, 21 Apr 2013 12:06:48 GMT, wrote:

The rod needs to be smooth except for the threads. I will check the die, it
was $40 which is all I know about it. I did taper the end. It will be used
on a boat, not sure what as this is something for my father. But it can't
stain the wood. I do have a woodworkers lathe which I assume is useless. My
father is 90 so I am just trying to keep him happy.

If it is for a boat then use 316 stainless as it is far more
"stainless" than other common stainless :-)

As for threading. Try to file the end of the rod that you are planning
on threading. If a file cuts it easily than your problem is the vise
not the threading.

On 20-Apr-2013,
wrote:

Looking for 1/4" metal rod I can thread. These will be attached to wood so
rusting or staining can be a problem since they will be outside. Got a
piece of stainless, the softess I could get but it is too hard to thread,
have a good vise but with all the pressure It won't hold in the vise. Even
bought a new die and tapered the end first. Had tried aluminum but it
makes
dark stains. Not into metal stuff so don't know what to look for. Maybe
something coated? Thanks.

--
Cheers,

John B.