Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
CatfishJohn CatfishJohn is offline

Default Outside metal rod

On 2013-04-20 19:34:21 -0400, said:

Looking for 1/4" metal rod I can thread. These will be attached to wood so
rusting or staining can be a problem since they will be outside. Got a
piece of stainless, the softess I could get but it is too hard to thread,
have a good vise but with all the pressure It won't hold in the vise. Even
bought a new die and tapered the end first. Had tried aluminum but it makes
dark stains. Not into metal stuff so don't know what to look for. Maybe
something coated? Thanks.

Although not cheap, brass rod should do nicely and is pretty impervious
to weather.