Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
tdacon tdacon is offline

Default Outside metal rod

wrote in message ...

Looking for 1/4" metal rod I can thread. These will be attached to wood so
rusting or staining can be a problem since they will be outside. Got a
piece of stainless, the softess I could get but it is too hard to thread,
have a good vise but with all the pressure It won't hold in the vise. Even
bought a new die and tapered the end first. Had tried aluminum but it makes
dark stains. Not into metal stuff so don't know what to look for. Maybe
something coated? Thanks.

Stainless is a bitch to thread, no question about it.

But I didn't have any trouble finding stainless all-thread on the web.

Here's 1/4-20 threaded 18-8, 36" long for about $6 each:
http://www.profhdwr.com/17925.htm

18-8 won't stay shiny when exposed to weather, but it won't rust either. It
just gets a dark brown patina on it.

316, on the other hand, will stay pretty shiny, but I couldn't find it
threaded under 3/8" diameter.

Tom