Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Outside metal rod

On Apr 20, 7:34*pm, wrote:
Looking for 1/4" metal rod I can thread. These will be attached to wood so
rusting or staining can be a problem since they will be outside. *Got a
piece of stainless, the softess I could get but it is too hard to thread,
have a good vise but with all the pressure It won't hold in the vise.

Missing a lot of info. How long does the rod have to be? Would
galvanized bolts work? How many rods are you wanting?
What about aluminum? Brass? Stainless threaded rod. Zinc plated
threaded rod?

The stainless rod you have is probably work hardened. How about
heating up the end you are trying to thread with a propane torch to
soften the rod you have. Anyway you get the idea, we can help more if
we knew more.

Dan