Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Outside metal rod

fired this volley in
:

Looking for 1/4" metal rod I can thread. These will be attached to
wood so rusting or staining can be a problem since they will be
outside. Got a piece of stainless, the softess I could get but it is
too hard to thread, have a good vise but with all the pressure It
won't hold in the vise. Even bought a new die and tapered the end
first. Had tried aluminum but it makes dark stains. Not into metal
stuff so don't know what to look for. Maybe something coated? Thanks.

How much of it do you have to thread?

For hand-threading stainless, it's helpful to have progressive dies, but
you're not going to find them in a hardware store, or at hardware store
prices. Usually, it's pretty easy to thread on a lathe, unless you get
careless and work-harden piece.

If you don't have a lot of it to do, it might be cheaper to take it to a
local machinist and ask him to do it.

If you're wanting to thread the whole length -- it's available already
threaded cheaper than you'll ever do it yourself.

The other option would be to use all-thread inside a piece of SS tubing
cut to fit what would be the 'unthreaded' section.

LLoyd