Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Gorton 2-28 milling machine

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote in message . 3.70...
"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley in
news:Zs6dnVe8RsCbGezMnZ2dnUVZ_rKdnZ2d@scnresearch. com:

Uhm...tooling fixtures usually are one-off, same as any other one-off
job.

You didn't get the memo ?

our own projects we usually aren't doing CNC and we also
can't afford to be making dedicated fixtures we'll never use again.

I can't afford to indicate each part if there is production involved.

Yeah... I make fixtures for one-off jobs almost every day; not always for
locating the work, but often just because it's the only way to hold the
work and machine it all-over.

LLoyd

And if I'm not mistaken, you have cnc...which is why I mentioned using cnc and a ball end mill to produce an angled surface.

As to why Pete seemingly got his panties into a wad, I really don't know--personally I think he's simply just looking for an arguement, and probably needs to see about getting on medications.

--because if he's truly trying to inform me about what "home shops do to get the job done" well, he's barking up the wrong tree....although most of my equipment today is indeed cnc, like many others, I started moonlighting out in my garage, about 35 years ago....my first lathe was an Atlas TH54 and shortly afterwards, I bought a Taiwanese R8 knee mill that was labled as a "Huskey"...

http://blog.sterlingmachinery.com/wp...09/A1394_1.jpg

You perhaps missed the personal projects part of what I said. While you
may run a commercial operation from your home shop most of us don't. As
for CNC, I have several CNC machines and I do on occasion make fixtures
when I will use them more than once, otherwise I'd rather spend the
extra 15 minutes clamping and indicating than waste $20 in material on a
one time fixture. Perhaps you are rich, I am not and while I'm not poor
I am frugal and try not to spend where there is little benefit.