Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Gorton 2-28 milling machine

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message ...

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

. 3.70...
"Pete C." fired this volley in news:516ff7c6$0
:

If you want a super accurate angle you setup a sine bar as your
reference, and then tram the tilted head on the sine bar to get it
precise.

Yup, but I seldom do angled work that precise, and if I do, I just use
the sine plate to angle the work to the bed.

I generally program a ball end mill to hemstitch the angle onto the
workholding fixture using X Z or Y Z stepover.

Takes a while but comes out dead nuts.

That's dandy for production work, but for those of us doing a one or two
off part for

Uhm...tooling fixtures usually are one-off, same as any other one-off job.

You didn't get the memo ?

Apparently not, I still use standard vises, angle plates, clamping
components, etc for one off jobs, just like every other home shop
machinist does. Dedicated fixtures are for production or at the very
least commercial work where there are funds to cover the cost of those
fixtures. Those of us doing personal projects don't like to waste
perfectly good material on a one off fixture.

our own projects we usually aren't doing CNC and we also
can't afford to be making dedicated fixtures we'll never use again.

I can't afford to indicate each part if there is production involved.

Indeed, production, for-profit, not home shop work. I made fixture
plates for a project where I was making around a dozen parts, and I
still didn't like using that nice hunk of 3/4" 6061 plate off my meager
stock rack.