Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gorton 2-28 milling machine

On Apr 19, 1:21*am, "Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote:
"jon_banquer" wrote in message

On Apr 18, 11:02 pm, "Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

news

On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 06:13:19 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"Harold & Susan Vordos" fired this volley in
:

A Gorton is to a BP what a Chev is to a Rolls Royce. They are an
excellent machine. Do not be discouraged by comments that have little
merit.

Harold

I think you reversed that. Bridgeports certainly are NOT Rolls-Royce
caliber!

OTOH, as rigid as the Gortons have reputations for being, I'd want a
tilt-head machine for my 'second-ops' position. My mill is a rigid-ram
machine, and there are things it would be nice to be able to do without
all the fuss and bother of sine plates and complex fixturing.

Lloyd

My I-22 has never had the head swung. And I do a fair amount of
machining.

Shrug

I hang around industrial machine shops for a living..and in the 16 or
so years Ive been repairing machines..I think..think I remember seeing
one swung or tilted.

Ayup...I do remember (1).

Gunner

A great deal depends on the shop in which a machine is used. Some may
dedicate given machines to altering head, ram and turret positions. In my
shop, there was but one machine at any one time---it served all purposes.

I've altered all of these setting time and again, and continue to do so
even
in retirement. They allow dealing with pieces that otherwise wouldn't be
possible.

Make no mistake---the features of a BP mill are exceedingly
valuable---that's the reason they've been so damned successful. It
certainly isn't because of their high quality. In fact, they aren't even
scraped. They are a very nice machine for the money, but they are not of
high quality. Never have been.

Not scraped, you say?

Please---I'm not open to discussion on this particular subject. Flaking,
which has been provided for aesthetics and oil control, *is not scraping*.
The only portion of a BP that is scraped is the knuckle on which the head
mounts. All other way surfaces are ground.

Look closely. They are ground, so please don't argue. (Not aimed at you,
Gunner. I think you know it, too!)

Harold

"The only portion of a BP that is scraped is the knuckle on which the
head mounts. All other way surfaces are ground."

Not true.

http://youtu.be/NaKfxWzVyTE
================================================== ===========================
I am not discussing rebuilds. I said that BP mills are not scraped. *Unless
you can provide evidence that I'm wrong, that still stands. * Your opinion
has no value to me, as I've already seen how misguided you are.

If they're scraped, why is it that grinding marks are still evident?
Wouldn't scraping remove them?

I rest my case. *You don't know what the hell you're talking about, and I'm
not going to get involved in a ****ing match with you. *I've seen more than
enough of your *wisdom* to know that you aren't a credible source of
information, although, I must admit, you shine brightly at showing the world
what an ass you can be.

It's over with me ----there will be no further comments to you, or anything
you may say. * I have much more important business to tend to----like
watching Gilligan's Island.

Harold

"I said that BP mills are not scraped. Unless you can provide
evidence that I'm wrong..."

Right, you said it and I proved once again how wrong and full of ****
you are. I did so with my own first hand eyewitness account of
watching the Series I castings being scraped and with a link to an
article that states that all contact surfaces on a Bridgeport Series I
were hand scraped.

Suggest you stick to watching Gilligan's Island. You remind me of
Gilligan... except that Gilligan was much smarter.