Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gorton 2-28 milling machine

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 08:35:09 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I understand that if I need a really _precise_ angle, I'm going with the
sine plate every time. But if I have a bunch of stuff where +-1/10
degree ain't gonna matter, I want to tilt the head.

Doesn't that require you to tram the head each and every time?
Tilting heads always seemed time consuming to me.
(At least here, from my wannabe-machinist position.)

If you want a quick angle that doesn't have to be super accurate you
tilt the head and use the scale on the head for the setting.

If you want a super accurate angle you setup a sine bar as your
reference, and then tram the tilted head on the sine bar to get it
precise.

Filed for future reference. Thanks.

--
Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplacable spark.

In the hopeless swamps of the not quite, the not yet, and
the not at all, do not let the hero in your soul perish
and leave only frustration for the life you deserved, but
never have been able to reach.

The world you desire can be won, it exists, it is real,
it is possible, it is yours.
-- Ayn Rand