Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT-ish B&Q automated checkout

On Thursday, April 18, 2013 3:06:42 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,

polygonum wrote:

In article

,

Man at B&Q wrote:

Fine for carrots (usually) because they tend to be at the cheaper

end, they often keep well (as you said), and many people use them

frequently. Very, very much less acceptable for vegetables which are

expensive, have poor keeping qualities, and may not be used very

often. E.g. mushrooms (treated as if vegetables though we all know

they are not!), leaf vegetables.

But those sort of things are generally sold pre-packed anyway - not

loose?

You really don't do the shopping, do you?

If I didn't do it no one would.

But do you really weigh cauliflower cabbage or broccoli before buying?

Yes I do! And kale. I don't want to grab a handful, or whatever form it

comes in, and have move than we need.

But by weight? I'd have no idea what enough broccoli for four would weigh.

But aren't such things sold by wieght rather than volume.
http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/grocerie...=1366299115401

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceries/index.jsp

all sold by wieght.

Cabbages, lettaces are all sold in price per kg rather than prive per litre.
Bannanas are sold either in set bags or by wieght not number or lenght or volume.

Beer and wine is sold by volume.

But I buy the above by wieght as I know I can only carry a certain amount home on the bus, so say I buy 3 500ml bottles of beer, 1 litre of milk, & 1kg of sugar is about the limit if I'm buying other stuff.

Or kale, come to that. I buy the quantity I want just by looking at it -

so more by volume than weight.

But it's sold by wieght too, you just find vison easier to judge.