Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gorton 2-28 milling machine

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 06:09:12 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Unless you are doing really long pieces..if the head tilts side to
side..it can be used just as well as a front to back "nod"
(Im having a stroke moment here...cant remember what the "nod"
movement is called..damnit

No argument there. I use(d when I had access to one) the side-tilt
almost exclusively. My old Cincinatti #2 had a side tilt head. I sold
it to make room in the shop, never thinking how much I'd miss it.

But... angle vises? Talk about losing rigidity! Besides, how would you
mount and swing a 150lb 12"x18" casting on that little toy?

(I'll honestly say I don't know the quality of the Yaesa, but _anything_
from Birmingham is just chinkalloy trash.)

LLoyd

Lloyd

Not a Chinese Birmingham...a late 1949s US made one. Rochester New
York. A heavy heavy rugged ******* that is as solid as granite when
its set.

The old farts could make Stuff work pretty well before the Chinks took
measurements, decided what they couldnt afford and then built their
crap in Chinkistan.

The Yaesu is right ridged little ******* too. In fact..Ive put it on
the shaper more than once and it held the work in place just darby.

I did my Y axis gibs for the HLV-H on the shaper with it in fact..
Come to think of it..I found the gib blank to be flexing a thou or so
and stuck on the big one. ****ed me off when I realized it was the gib
flexing under the cut and not the vise...and Id redone my setup. Once
Id gotten the gib in the vise with little overhang..no problems noted.
And I was using grey ductile iron for gib material. I didnt have
anything "softer" in ferrous alloys that would work properly.

As to how you hold a big chunk? Bigger vise of course!

Gunner

Gunner

Gunner