Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gorton 2-28 milling machine

On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 18:17:06 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Thats the only milling I can think of that one would need a tilting
head for..and the BP sure as hell isnt going to make those kinds of
cuts.

So you're saying that the ONLY angled cut anyone would ever need to make
is on material that heavy, or with cuts that aggressive?

C'mon, Gunner. Have you never had a piece of material that sat flat on
the bed but required an angled surface on top? If you have, envision a
shop duty where you have to do dozens of them with dozens of different
angles.

Which would you prefer -- setting up the sine plate and clamping for
every different setup, or just tilting the head to the desired angle and
'doing it'?

I understand that if I need a really _precise_ angle, I'm going with the
sine plate every time. But if I have a bunch of stuff where +-1/10
degree ain't gonna matter, I want to tilt the head.

Lloyd

Actually..I use 3 way tilting vises when I need to do precise work.

Like these

http://www.grizzly.com/products/4-Th...le-Vise/T10059

Ive got a 3" Yaesa and a 6" Birmington.

I agree..you may be one of the small segment of people who use both
tilts in your BP head, and all the power to you!

But Ive seen so little of it in my coming and goings..that I cant see
an issue with a mill that doesnt tilt front to back.

Ive actually seen the accessory verticle slotter on the back of some
BPs used far more than the "nod" of the head.

Unless you are doing really long pieces..if the head tilts side to
side..it can be used just as well as a front to back "nod"
(Im having a stroke moment here...cant remember what the "nod"
movement is called..damnit

Gunner