Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default Gorton 2-28 milling machine

"Jonathan Banquer" wrote in message

"Most shops I've worked for still have a quite a few Bridgeport Series I
type knee mills for secondary operations, for odd sized, bulky pieces, for
simple prototypes, for repairs and for making fixtures. Often they are
fitted with a Prototrak retrofit.

Space is too much a premium in *my shop...and since I've done fine without
having one for going on 30 years now, I've come to conclude that the return
on investment just isn't there for me, and that it's much better from a
business standpoint to just farm it out....

--focus on what makes the most money the fastest...keeping the machining
centers busy...

Having to shell out $45.00 once in a blue moon to someone with a Bridgeport
for an odd job is a drop in the bucket compared to spending $4 grand on a
machine that'll probably end up costing me more in lost time sweeping chips
and having to walk around it than it will ever recover.