Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default Gorton 2-28 milling machine

"jon_banquer" wrote in message
On Apr 17, 2:29 am, "Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote:

On 2013-04-17, Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

"Ignoramus9908" wrote in message
om...
For a while, I have been looking for a perfect manual millnig machine
for our handy guy and for some simple jobs not requiring CNC.

I bought this Gorton 2-28 mill.

http://www.bidspotter.com/auctions/20712/photos/308.JPG

Not very proud of the price I paid, but it looked like a very good
machine. 2.5-5 HP motor (I guess dual speed), NMTB 40 taper spindle,
power feed on the X, Y axes and looks like on Z also.

Here's a catalog page that I found about it:

http://gorton-machine.org/forms/form_2321a/index.html

I want to keep it and not sell it.

Any comments, is that a good machine?

Gorton built top of the line equipment, and enjoyed a very respected
(and
deserved) reputation in machine tools.

You did good.

Harold, to be honest, I like Gortons more than Bridgeports.

A Gorton is to a BP what a Chev is to a Rolls Royce. They are an excellent
machine. Do not be discouraged by comments that have little merit.

Harold

Neither a Goton or a Bridgeport are a "Rolls Royce". They both are
serious compromises when it comes to rigidity. All knee mills are.

---

If I had Bridgeport, it probably would be sitting on railroad ties behind
the shop, under a tarp.

If I had a Gorton, I probably would have scrapped it about twenty years ago.

If I had room for a manual milling machine that was only going to be used
occasionally, I would probably buy this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/devlieg-jigm...em33812e 5f02