Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default The Coates Spherical Valve Head.

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 07:36:03 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 17:36:34 -0700 (PDT), BottleBob
wrote:

Very nice! Axial-shaft rotary valves. They've been around for at
least
60 or 70 years. g I think they were tried in aircraft engines even
earlier than that.

Since 1849.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corliss_steam_engine

You had to bring in steam. g

Yes, the rotary and spool-valve designs for IC engines actually were
adaptations of steam-engine valve works.

In IC engines, they tend to run great -- for a little while. They've
had some successes in racing, where you can tear an engine down after
500 or 1,000 miles and think nothing of it. But they never seem to be
duplicated by anyone else.

Every ten or twenty years, it seems, someone tries it again, often
with lots of fanfare. I'm skeptical, but that's not to say that
someone didn't get it right this time. We'll have to see.

The company that Bottle linked to is only about 20 or 25 miles from my
house. I'm tempted to go down and see what there is to see. It's right
near a good fishing spot, too. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress