Chip Olson

Default walls in basement shop - concrete, wood, etc?

On Mon, 31 May 2004 20:36:16 -0700, fixhouse wrote:

I am (slowly) starting to put together a basement shop. The basement is
completely unfinished and the shop is going to be a long project.

I am curious as to what others with basement shops do with their walls.
I could leave the walls as unfinished concrete (possibly painted), which
is certainly the least expensive solution. I could put up drywall,
unfinished pine, some combination, etc.

Be extremely careful with drywall and insulation on outside walls if you
have any potential whatsoever for moisture (i.e. if you live in any
climate wetter than Death Valley). My old house had a finished room in the
basement where the insulation and drywall were completely suffused with
mold. We called it the "mold room" and never went in there except at dire
need.

--
-Chip Olson. | ceo2 at thsi dot org | remove the 2 to reply