Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default This repair is what I did last week

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 20:23:27 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 20:05:57 -0500, Ignoramus25056

On 2013-04-14, Gunner Asch wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...aTurretRebuild

Gunner

I enjoyed it greatly, but I did not understand what you did.

I pulled down the lathe, removed the turret, took it to another shop,
stripped it empty, then a guy put it up on one of his big horizontal
mills, drilled and tapped the side of the casting (base) and put in
stripper bolts, which drew the busted pieces together,

then ground all the crap out of it and got it ready to weld

then welded it
all up with bronze. Then he put it back on the horizontal mill,
remilled and put everything back to factory specs visa vis flatness
and alighnment.

I then reassembled everything, adjusted clearences by experience (no
manual available) and reinstalled it on the lathe. I then aligned the
turret to within .001 of alignment with lathe axis and then rewired
and made operational.

I had about 20 hrs in it. Jim had about 10 hrs in it. Plus taking it
on a 70 mile round trip on my trailer.

The original morons had put in (2) .5" dowel pins..but had only set
less than .375 in the far side of the crack..and had never pulled the
crack back together and when they welded it..they never got the body
of the casting hot..so they managed to simply put bronze on the small
side and it had NO bond with the body of the turret. When we ground
out the original braze..a big "chunk" of bronze popped out..the crack
never was bonded..it was just "puttied" and that chunk of bronze was
supposed to be bonded to the turret body. It wasnt. That chunk of
bronze was oily..and you can see in the photo..the crack was pretty
good sized.

In fact..its visible in the photo with the crack, to the right side
laying loose on the body of the turret.

Now we expect it to be as strong as the original cast iron as a unit.

If not stronger.

The original guys had put on a plate of steel..just to keep the dowel
pins from falling out. ****ed us both off when we pulled that plate
off and the dowels were not even bonded with the bronze...yet they had
been welded in. **** poor welding...zero skills with cast iron or
machinery. Unfortunately..it had been done 10 yrs ago..so we couldnt
clients bought their entire machine shop, and we moved it to their
building and we set it up for operation. They do plastic and steel
pipe threading and slotting etc etc for the oil and environmental
industry, along with chemicals etc etc

http://www.sinclairwellproducts.com/

Gunner