Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default This repair is what I did last week

On 2013-04-14, Gunner Asch wrote:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...aTurretRebuild

Gunner

I enjoyed it greatly, but I did not understand what you did.

He removed a tool changer/toolpost turret from a very large CNC lathe,
took it to a shop to repair a cracked casting properly and then
reassembled it. 9" spindle bore, probably threading oil well drill
string pipe fittings or something. Probably 100HP spindle. Big MF.

OK, I got it, thanks. I usually think that if it cracked once, it will
crack again. But it was a fun project.

If the weld is done properly the repair will be as strong or stronger
than the original material. The trick is knowing what the material
actually is and which weld procedure to use.
In this case it sounds like it was cast iron, and that the repair was to
grind it out and weld it plus add pins across the weld to withstand the
higher stress.

Cast is fun stuff, especially in areas where it lives in lubricants or oils.

--
Steve W.

Right but we will never know because Wieber decided not to document
the full repair so it's incomplete and not very helpful.