Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The First

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 06:38:26 +0700, J.B.Slocomb
wrote:

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 16:08:10 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 18:31:08 +0700, J.B.Slocomb
wrote:

On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 06:55:54 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Tue, 9 Apr 2013 23:22:08 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Payin' job should leave my "new" shop tomorrow !

In the last few months I've been moving equipment , carport , and stuff to
Mountain View AR . Today I altered the mounting config on a supercharger for
my neighbor , the first paying job in the new shop . I think I've found a
niche here , as far as I know there's not another "odd job" machine shop in
the area . The neighbor and his son have given me an in to the local
fast-car crowd ... that first job is altering a Jag supercharger for
mounting on a Ford 5.0 highly modified motor . Hey , I always wanted to be
involved with building fast cars and bikes !!

$65hr is a good starting rate here in California

Some guys have been working for $45hr.

Im closing down their shops

Shrug

Gunner

I thought Snag was talking about a shop rate, is that what you are
talking about. $65 an hour for shop work?

Not to argue but I had thought shop rates for one off jobs would be in
the $100/hour range.

Most shops charge the same for one off or production..but they will
barter some for long term production.

By "one off" I was intending to mean jobs where someone wants to make
(or repair) a whatsit as opposed to a manufacturing job where you cost
the material, cost the electricity, cost the machine operator's cost,
cost the resale of the scrap, and so on.

But if shop costs are $65 than how much is the machinist's salary? We
used to figure that we had to charge at least twice the salary to
cover salary, and overhead such as annual leave, tax, insurance, etc.,
profit was on top of that.

In California..machinest wages run from $10-30 an hour. Most small
shops the guys make around $15/hr, in bigger shops like Boeing etc
etc..it runs to the high end and a bit beyond.

So those numbers fit into your formula nicely.

The guy that charged my client for fixing his turret last week,
charged about $65 or so per hour. That includes all the machinery,
materials, etc etc and all the insurance etc etc.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...aTurretRebuild