Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Machine Gun Parts kits

"RogerN" on Sat, 16 Mar 2013 23:13:02 -0500 typed
I have read that, according to some,

Washington State - no just any ol' "Some" B-)

RCW 9.41.220
Unlawful firearms and parts contraband.

All machine guns, short-barreled shotguns, or short-barreled rifles,
or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a
machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or in
converting a weapon into a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or
short-barreled rifle, illegally held or illegally possessed are hereby
declared to be contraband, and it shall be the duty of all peace
officers, and/or any officer or member of the armed forces of the
United States or the state of Washington, to seize said machine gun,
short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or parts thereof,
wherever and whenever found.

if you have machine gun parts you can
go to prison for trying to build a machine gun. If that's so, how to they
sell machine gun parts kits?

What is legal in one state, may not be illegal in another. I can
buy a Semi-auto version of an M16 in Washington or Oregon. I can buy
a full auto version of a an M16 in Oregon. I can do neither in
California.

I'm in process of building an AR-15 and am curious, from what I see, the M16
lower receiver is different than an AR-15 lower receiver. M16 full-auto
parts installed in an AR-15 won't make a machine gun because there is no
hole for the auto-sear and the area is milled different, no room for the
auto sear. So, in an AR-15 receiver, all the full auto parts that you could
fit would let it work normally in safe and semi, but Auto would only let the
hammer follow the bolt forward and you would have to pull the "Charging
handle" to re-cock the hammer. It seems everything except the auto-sear
would work in an AR-15 for safe and semi, selecting full auto would only let
the hammer down without firing.

To me, it seems that jailing someone for having some machine gun part, that
work fine in an AR-15's, is kind of like throwing a man in jail for rape
because he has a penis. Or giving everyone a speeding ticket because their
car is capable of speeding. Crazy!

Reading it a bit expansively - "any part designed and intended
solely and exclusively for use in" a machine gun. Thus, at least in
Washington having a penis does not make you a rapists. Having the
part which makes an Ar15 "Semi" version into an M-16 "Full auto" -
those who know both machines will know which is it which - is what
will get you busted.. I can make parts which are interchangeable
till my arms fall off. But make one that is mean only for the
full-auto version only - jail time.

Oh, and this law was passed to prevent the Wobblies from taking
over Washington.
--
pyotr filipivich