Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default Is there a chemical antidote to bleach that will inactivate it instantly?

On Friday, April 12, 2013 4:41:31 PM UTC-4, Steven L. wrote:
Hydrogen peroxide combined with sodium hypochlorite produces oxygen gas,

water, and chlorine gas. Chlorine gas can be toxic, but since you're

only neutralizing a few drops of Clorox, just keep the place well

ventilated and you'll be fine.

Very, very bad idea.

Not because it will release chlorine. There isn't that much chlorine available in a few drops of bleach. And really that's what we want - to get rid of the chlorine so it doesn't bleach the carpet.

No, it's a bad idea because hydrogen peroxide ITSELF bleaches fabric. This is true even for a few drops of household strength hydrogen peroxide. We've used it to soften wax in the ear. That only takes a few drops, but it is guaranteed to stain clothes unless you wrap up well in a towel. (white towel, preferably)