Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is there a chemical antidote to bleach that will inactivate it instantly?

On Apr 10, 7:43*pm, "Danny D." wrote:
On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 05:10:04 -0700 wrote:

The other question is what effect sodium thiosulfate itself
might have on the carpet? *Going back to the acid/base thing,
lye will neutralize acid. *That works great in a test
tube. *But probably not very practical for a carpet.

UPDATE:
I don't have a picture yet because I just now put the test towel
towel in the wash, but here's what I did as a basic experiment.
(I'll have a picture in about an hour when it's all
washed and dried.)

As a very crude test, I placed a blue bath town on a slight
slope outside and started dropping bleach drops onto it, but
then I realized the bleach drops were spreading and coalescing
into one another and I hadn't thought ahead to mark the spots
anyway ... so I got a bit impatient and just dumped about a
cup of the household bleach onto the bath towel.

I waited about two or three minutes (which is about the right
amount of panic time were that to happen on my carpet), and then
I poured an equal amount of white ammonia onto the same area.

I waited about an hour, and, to stop the reaction, I flooded
the whole thing with a strong stream of water from a garden
hose (which turned out to be a mistake as it made the towel
all muddy).

Then, I put the mess in the wash with other soiled clothes;
so it's in the middle of its 90-minute cycle right now. In
hind sight, I should have done a control, but I didn't
think of that at the time of the test earlier today.

When it's all done and dried, I'll snap a photo and post
the results. I guess what I'm looking for is for bleach spots
to NOT show up - but I'll wait for the test results before
making any assumptions.

I seem to remember sodium thiosulfate was one of the chemicals we used
to fix b+w photographs after removing them from the developer. Anyone
else remember this????
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 00:43:26 +0000 Danny D. wrote:

When it's all done and dried, I'll snap a photo and post
the results. I guess what I'm looking for is for bleach spots
to NOT show up - but I'll wait for the test results before
making any assumptions.

Well, initial results aren't as perfect as one would have hoped:

Maybe I did the experiment wrong.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 11, 12:45*am, "Danny D." wrote:
On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 00:43:26 +0000 Danny D. wrote:

When it's all done and dried, I'll snap a photo and post
the results. I guess what I'm looking for is for bleach spots
to NOT show up - but I'll wait for the test results before
making any assumptions.

Well, initial results aren't as perfect as one would have hoped:
*http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12660685.jpg

Maybe I did the experiment wrong.

I think the problem here is that you said you were
looking for an "instant" antidote to bleach. But in the test, you
waited 2 or 3 mimutes. Pure bleach out of the jug is powerful
and the damage is very likely done long before that amount
of time has elapsed. In the household accident scenario, if
you spilled just a few drops, ie a small amount, then flooding
it immediately with water is what I would do. Spill a few drops,
put a quart of water on it. It would not surprise me if even that
doesn't work, because the damage is already done.

Putting ammonia on it would be the last thing I'd do.
I think ammonia by itself could harm the carpet. And if you're
counting on it reacting with the bleach, like and acid and
lye would, you don't know the proper amounts, can't control
the area where it goes, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default read the label

Frank wrote in
:

Out of curiosity I took a look at a label on a bottle of bleach.
I'll leave it to Numbnuts to read what they say not to mix bleach
with.

Also maybe he will take a look at the Clorox MSDS:

http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/down...roxregularblea
ch0809_.pdf

Stable under normal use and storage condi
tions. Strong oxidizing agent.
Reacts with other household chemicals
such as toilet bowl cleaners, rust
removers, vinegar, acids or ammonia c
ontaining products to
produce hazardous
gases, such as chlorine and other chlori
nated species. Prolonged contact with
metal may cause pitting or discoloration

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 10, 5:02*pm, "Danny D." wrote:
On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 08:24:57 -0700 Robert Macy wrote:

1. pour distilled water onto the spots, wetting ocmpletely.

I'm curious why distilled water?

I assume speed is of the essence, when drops of bleach spill
on the carpet, so I would think, if the solution is dilution,
that plain old regular water would be as good and certainly
quicker.

distilled water has no 'unknown' thingies to get involved.

Also, just remembered from university chemistry. Bleach is an
oxygenator, the sun is an oxygenator. Both will dim out certain dyes
and both will 'brighten' some organic dyes. If you try to bleach out
organically based dyes of that type; the color of the stain just gets
more intense. However, with the bleach oxygenating the dye also makes
the dye soluble, and thus the colorations can be flushed from the
fabric, removing the stain [anyway that was my understanding at the
time]

Bleaching 'damage' can be reversed under certain circumstances.

As an experiment, I bleach fumigated a bright red apple peal
rendering it to a pale yellow color. Then reversed the bleaching
process by exposing the peal to SO gas, sulfurous oxide which steals
back the oxygen radical thus turned the apple peal back to a bright
red. SO is not to be confused with S02, sulfur dioxide. of note, I had
bleach fumigate the apple peal which left the oxygenated color
molecule in place, not removing it from the peal, so that the molecule
was still in place when the SO took back that oxygen molecule, thus
the color dye was in place to enable turning the peal bright red
again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 10, 9:45*pm, "Danny D." wrote:
On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 00:43:26 +0000 Danny D. wrote:

When it's all done and dried, I'll snap a photo and post
the results. I guess what I'm looking for is for bleach spots
to NOT show up - but I'll wait for the test results before
making any assumptions.

Well, initial results aren't as perfect as one would have hoped:
*http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12660685.jpg

Maybe I did the experiment wrong.

you didn't say what the fabric content of the towel was. looks right.
I expect a hole to be eaten through when a cup of bleach is poured
onto fabric and allowed to sit.

your photo looks a lot like what the carpet in the flat looked like
too.

I found that all the new recycled cotton fabrics dissolve with bleach
fast! but the old original cottons are a bit more robust. just a
little bit

OT - is the website you posted the picture at a public site? how to
gain access to post a picture?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 11, 2013 12:45:21 AM UTC-4, Danny D. wrote:
On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 00:43:26 +0000 Danny D. wrote:

When it's all done and dried, I'll snap a photo and post

the results. I guess what I'm looking for is for bleach spots

to NOT show up - but I'll wait for the test results before

making any assumptions.

Well, initial results aren't as perfect as one would have hoped:

Maybe I did the experiment wrong.

If you get a chance try again with vinegar. I think it is more likely to work fast than ammonia.

Of course the flood with water approach sounds good but you are going to spread the bleach that way if there's enough of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 08:17:23 -0700 Robert Macy wrote:

you didn't say what the fabric content of the towel was.

The label says:
RN17730
VN1174663
Fiber: 100% Cotton
Only non-chlorine bleach, when needed.
Avoid contact with products containing Benzoyl Peroxide.

I was surprised it mentions benzoyl peroxide (acne creams?)
as they could have mentioned a thousand chemicals - but why
benzoyl peroxide?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Danny D." wrote in news:kk72hg$4bn$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 08:17:23 -0700 Robert Macy wrote:

you didn't say what the fabric content of the towel was.

The label says:
RN17730
VN1174663
Fiber: 100% Cotton
Only non-chlorine bleach, when needed.
Avoid contact with products containing Benzoyl Peroxide.

I was surprised it mentions benzoyl peroxide (acne creams?)
as they could have mentioned a thousand chemicals - but why
benzoyl peroxide?

Because it's a *very* powerful bleaching agent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 16:14:17 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 18:59:40 -0400, Frank
wrote:

Out of curiosity I took a look at a label on a bottle of bleach.
I'll leave it to Numbnuts to read what they say not to mix bleach with.

Also maybe he will take a look at the Clorox MSDS:

http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/down...leach0809_.pdf

Mom told me to never mix bleach and ammonia. Mom knows best!

She told you to wash behind your ears, too. You didn't listen then,
did you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Out of curiosity I took a look at a label on a bottle of bleach.
I'll leave it to Numbnuts to read what they say not to mix bleach with.

Also maybe he will take a look at the Clorox MSDS:

http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/down...leach0809_.pdf

Mom told me to never mix bleach and ammonia. Mom knows best!

She told you to wash behind your ears, too. You didn't listen then,
did you?

Most of the time I did. I was afraid of "potatoes growing" in the
dirt. Mom knows best!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Out of curiosity I took a look at a label on a bottle of bleach.

I'll leave it to Numbnuts to read what they say not to mix bleach with.

Also maybe he will take a look at the Clorox MSDS:

http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/down...leach0809_.pdf

Mom told me to never mix bleach and ammonia. Mom knows best!

She told you to wash behind your ears, too. You didn't listen then,

did you?

Most of the time I did. I was afraid of "potatoes growing" in the

dirt. Mom knows best!

It's funny reading all these responses to mixing bleach and ammonia.

I think the conclusions a

1. It won't reverse the whitening that bleach causes.

2. Diluting the bleach is the best thing for that situation all others where you want to negate bad effects.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Out of curiosity I took a look at a label on a bottle of bleach.

I'll leave it to Numbnuts to read what they say not to mix bleach with.

Also maybe he will take a look at the Clorox MSDS:

http://www.thecloroxcompany.com/down...leach0809_.pdf

Mom told me to never mix bleach and ammonia. Mom knows best!

She told you to wash behind your ears, too. You didn't listen then,

did you?

Most of the time I did. I was afraid of "potatoes growing" in the

dirt. Mom knows best!

It's funny reading all these responses to mixing bleach and ammonia.

I think the conclusions a

1. It won't reverse the whitening that bleach causes.

2. Diluting the bleach is the best thing for that situation all others where you want to negate bad effects.

3. It's too late anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/9/2013 8:11 PM, Danny D. wrote:
I spilled a few drops of bleach on the rug, and immediately flushed it
with water, but the thought came to me that there might be an instant
chemical "antidote" to bleach (like there is with an acid:base).

Is there something (other than water dilution) that counteracts bleach?

Hydrogen peroxide--though you would probably need it in industrial
strength concentrations.

Hydrogen peroxide combined with sodium hypochlorite produces oxygen gas,
water, and chlorine gas. Chlorine gas can be toxic, but since you're
only neutralizing a few drops of Clorox, just keep the place well
ventilated and you'll be fine.

--
Steven L.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, April 12, 2013 4:41:31 PM UTC-4, Steven L. wrote:
Hydrogen peroxide combined with sodium hypochlorite produces oxygen gas,

water, and chlorine gas. Chlorine gas can be toxic, but since you're

only neutralizing a few drops of Clorox, just keep the place well

ventilated and you'll be fine.

Very, very bad idea.

Not because it will release chlorine. There isn't that much chlorine available in a few drops of bleach. And really that's what we want - to get rid of the chlorine so it doesn't bleach the carpet.

No, it's a bad idea because hydrogen peroxide ITSELF bleaches fabric. This is true even for a few drops of household strength hydrogen peroxide. We've used it to soften wax in the ear. That only takes a few drops, but it is guaranteed to stain clothes unless you wrap up well in a towel. (white towel, preferably)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 08:45:59 -0700 TimR wrote:

it's a bad idea because hydrogen peroxide ITSELF bleaches fabric.

I didn't want to say this, but I must agree.
H2O2 is an oxidizer, in and of itself (think rocket fuel).
I use it for mouthwash, and I've spilled some on towels, and it has
bleached those towels a yellowish white color.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 9, 2013 5:11:10 PM UTC-7, Danny D. wrote:
I spilled a few drops of bleach on the rug, and immediately flushed it

with water, but the thought came to me that there might be an instant

chemical "antidote" to bleach (like there is with an acid:base).

Is there something (other than water dilution) that counteracts bleach?

no one's even mentioned that bleach mixed ammonia is also commonly known as mustard gas. please don't say the mixture is not dangerous if it's your opinion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wish I knew. I was working with bleach last week,
and got some on my hands. I smelled like a swimming
pool for about 24 hours. Next time, I wear gloves.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/13/2013 8:57 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, April 9, 2013 5:11:10 PM UTC-7, Danny D. wrote:
I spilled a few drops of bleach on the rug, and immediately flushed it

with water, but the thought came to me that there might be an instant

chemical "antidote" to bleach (like there is with an acid:base).

Is there something (other than water dilution) that counteracts bleach?

no one's even mentioned that bleach mixed ammonia is also

commonly known as mustard gas. please don't say the mixture
is not dangerous if it's your opinion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 13, 2013 8:57:37 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, April 9, 2013 5:11:10 PM UTC-7, Danny D. wrote:

I spilled a few drops of bleach on the rug, and immediately flushed it

with water, but the thought came to me that there might be an instant

chemical "antidote" to bleach (like there is with an acid:base).

Is there something (other than water dilution) that counteracts bleach?

no one's even mentioned that bleach mixed ammonia is also commonly known as mustard gas. please don't say the mixture is not dangerous if it's your opinion.

Please don't say bleach plus ammonia forms mustard gas, when it's
impossible. Mixing it can produce dangerous fumes, but not mustard
gas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 05:52:26 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

no one's even mentioned that bleach mixed ammonia is also commonly known as mustard gas. please don't say the mixture is not dangerous if it's your opinion.

Please don't say bleach plus ammonia forms mustard gas, when it's
impossible. Mixing it can produce dangerous fumes, but not mustard
gas.

But that is what Hank said on King of the Hill so it must be true.
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=550634
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

wrote:

no one's even mentioned that bleach mixed ammonia is also commonly
known as mustard gas. please don't say the mixture is not dangerous
if it's your opinion.

Please don't say bleach plus ammonia forms mustard gas, when it's
impossible. Mixing it can produce dangerous fumes, but not mustard
gas.

But that is what Hank said on King of the Hill so it must be true.
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=550634

That end that argument for sure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 17:57:37 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Tuesday, April 9, 2013 5:11:10 PM UTC-7, Danny D. wrote:
I spilled a few drops of bleach on the rug, and immediately flushed it

with water, but the thought came to me that there might be an instant

chemical "antidote" to bleach (like there is with an acid:base).

Is there something (other than water dilution) that counteracts bleach?

no one's even mentioned that bleach mixed ammonia is also commonly known as mustard gas. please don't say the mixture is not dangerous if it's your opinion.

Response to an article that's only five months old. It's from this
year, anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/14/2013 08:52 AM, wrote:
On Friday, September 13, 2013 8:57:37 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, April 9, 2013 5:11:10 PM UTC-7, Danny D. wrote:

I spilled a few drops of bleach on the rug, and immediately flushed it

with water, but the thought came to me that there might be an instant

chemical "antidote" to bleach (like there is with an acid:base).

Is there something (other than water dilution) that counteracts bleach?

no one's even mentioned that bleach mixed ammonia is also commonly known as mustard gas. please don't say the mixture is not dangerous if it's your opinion.

Please don't say bleach plus ammonia forms mustard gas, when it's
impossible. Mixing it can produce dangerous fumes, but not mustard
gas.

Mostly Cl2 (molecular chlorine gas), but other reactions are also
possible, none of which are particularly pleasant.

http://h2g2.com/dna/h2g2/classic/A795611

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

After two years of circular comments, here is the answer: Carpet cleaners who are into color correction use a bleach neutralizer before re-dying spots in carpet. Simply go to a janitorial supply store and ask for a bleach neutralizer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 10, 2013 at 10:11:10 AM UTC+10, Danny D. wrote:
I spilled a few drops of bleach on the rug, and immediately flushed it
with water, but the thought came to me that there might be an instant
chemical "antidote" to bleach (like there is with an acid:base).

Is there something (other than water dilution) that counteracts bleach?

any idea how to neutralize bleach that has spilled into car boot on the metal??
there must be something I can use.thanks in advance
tony
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2015 8:00 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 10, 2013 at 10:11:10 AM UTC+10, Danny D. wrote:
I spilled a few drops of bleach on the rug, and immediately flushed it
with water, but the thought came to me that there might be an instant
chemical "antidote" to bleach (like there is with an acid:base).

Is there something (other than water dilution) that counteracts bleach?

any idea how to neutralize bleach that has spilled into car boot on the metal??
there must be something I can use.thanks in advance

For small amounts, you could use Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) at about 1:400
Note you want to wear protective glasses, gloves, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2015 09:00 PM, wrote:

LOOK AT THE DATE!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2015 8:16 AM, philo wrote:
On 11/14/2015 09:00 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 10, 2013 at 10:11:10 AM UTC+10, Danny D. wrote:

LOOK AT THE DATE!

November 15, 2015.

BTW, my date was ugly. I had to stop looking.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 19:52:00 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

BTW, my date was ugly. I had to stop looking.

Maybe you should have prayed for him. No?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y writes:

On 11/15/2015 5:06 PM, Dan Espen wrote:
Don Y writes:

On 11/15/2015 6:16 AM, philo wrote:
On 11/14/2015 09:00 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 10, 2013 at 10:11:10 AM UTC+10, Danny D. wrote:

LOOK AT THE DATE!

Do responses lose their validity because the question is old?
There's this wonderful thing called a search engine that will turn
up all sorts of information -- questions, replies, etc. -- regardless
of when they were stated!

In fact, they're not responses after all that time.

Do "chemical antidotes to bleach" change? If someone was looking
for that information *today*, would the response be different?
If someone was CASUALLY READING the bits of this thread, would they
say, "Gee! I didn't know that! Oh, wait... the original thread is
20 years old so I should ignore *today's* reply as it probably isn't
valid..."?

As I said, responses DO lose something.
Of course the intended response could be helpful.
I never contradicted that.

Using the old thread may or may not be a good idea.
If I was following up on something I knew to be a few
years old, I'd be sure to mention it.

Repeating:

If you are intentionally responding to an old thread,
it's good to mention that you are doing it intentionally.
Otherwise people will point out that the OP may not be around
anymore and you may not be able to reference the parent post.

So:

LOOK AT THE DATE!

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2015 09:00 PM, wrote:
[...]

The post from " is dated 11/14/2015 on
my server. The post *tosue* replied to was dated 2013.

BUT! tosue simply piggybacked AN ORIGINAL QUESTION onto that
post. Repeating tosue's 10/14/2015 post, below:

any idea how to neutralize bleach that has spilled into car boot
on the metal?? there must be something I can use.thanks in advance
tony

So, tosue's "sin" was piggybacking his post on an old post
that asked, essentially, the same question.

Had tosue simply posted the original content of *his* post, here,
it would have been deemed an appropriate, original question -- despite
the fact that someone who was reading the newsgroup 2 or 3 years back
might have remembered that this question had come up previously.

As such, philo's comment to "LOOK AT THE DATE!" was meaningless.
tosue wasn't *replying* to "Danny D's 2013 post but, rather,
repeating the same question that Danny D had asked (and apparently
never received an answer) some 2.5 years earlier.

So:

LOOK AT THE DATE!

Yes. And the date of the post was 11/14/2015!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/14/2015 09:00 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 10, 2013 at 10:11:10 AM UTC+10, Danny D. wrote:

LOOK AT THE DATE!

Do responses lose their validity because the question is old?

In general...yes.

As technology changes I'd generally want the latest answer.

Sure, some things never change but in the technical/medical fields I'd usually
want today's answers

Do chemical reactions change? ("how to neutralize bleach")

The reason I posted however was simply because Google Groups seems to be
infiltrating Usenet.

Google bought the Deja News USENET archives years ago. As a result, a
Google Groups user sees much more "history" than a typical USENET user
would -- cuz most NNTP servers expire articles after "a short while"
(depends on the servers policies for each particular group).

So, a new subscriber to a group using a typical NNTP service initially
sees "some number" of articles (depending on those policies) -- all of
which appear to be "new, unread".

A Google Groups user sees *everything*. And, can more readily search
through everything!

I suspect tosue went looking for a post that might help him
"neutralize bleach that has spilled into car boot on the metal".
Rather than simply *asking* the question, he attempted to first
find an *answer* (kudos to him for taking that initiative).

Danny D's 2013 post probably turned up as the (only?) hit. And,
he opted to piggyback his NEW QUESTION on that post.

Had he, instead, been lazy and simply asked without researching,
his would have been a NEW question.

Interesting that, aside from the "solution" that I posted, all the
chatter his post has to do with the date of the post on which he
piggybacked his initial query -- no one else offering him suggestions
as to how to "neutralize the bleach" in his car trunk!

:

There's this wonderful thing called a search engine that will turn
up all sorts of information -- questions, replies, etc. -- regardless
of when they were stated!

Posted to alt.home.repair

The main thing to neutralize bleach is milk if a kd gets iinto a drinks any bleach the first thing to do is make them drink milk
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 12, 2016 at 1:53:48 PM UTC-7, wrote:
The main thing to neutralize bleach is milk if a kd gets iinto a drinks any bleach the first thing to do is make them drink milk

Sodium Thiosulfate solution

But, unless you're a chemist and work in a lab, it might be a bit hard to acquire
Posted to alt.home.repair

I guess everyone here just wanted to argue scientific facts instead of giving you your answer. Fact is, your carpet is probably ****ed but most carpets do not stain from bleach because theyre color fast. cut out the section of carpet that is ruined and cut a piece from a closet if it matches and replace the square. Don't mix chemicals if you don't know what you are doing. On the bright side, you have been given a chemistry lesson. Lol.