Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metalworking, Shop, AR Progress Report

On Apr 12, 10:15*pm, "RogerN" wrote:
I went to my shop tonight at close to 5PM, *I wired for an AC inverter drive
for single to 3 phase, I put a single phase plug on the drive and a 3 phase
twist lock on the mill, I figure that way I can use my drive with my lathe
or mills. *On the mill tonight I found out I can start the drive with the
mill off, turning the mill on and off while the drive is running 60hz
doesn't fault out the drive, I was surprised. *The drive I'm currently using
is an Allen Bradley 160 3HP (2.2KW) drive, got it on eBay years ago for $105
if I remember correctly.

After I got my wiring switched from the idler motor cobbled up rotary
converter and got it running from the drive, I machined my AR-15 lower
trigger group, wasn't the best time I've had machining, my air compressor
didn't work and it was hard to mill without regrinding my chips, the pocket
is 1.249" deep (+/- .010). *Had lots of little difficulties, I spent a lot
of time on setting up, indicating the vise, head, and part, I checked and
rechecked things before final dimension. *I didn't get the lower fully
assembled but the hammer and trigger is in place, I could test fire tonight
but it's late and the neighbors might not appreciate it. *Everything appears
to work great, pull the trigger releases the hammer, hold the trigger and
disconnector holds the hammer, release the trigger and disconnector releases
hammer and trigger catches it. *Selector switch blocks pulling the trigger.

I used one of those mill/drills spotter drills that was recommended on the
group, very nice. *The reamers left a good finish on the holes. *In my
tooling I bought one of those co-axial indicators, never used one before,
it's nice to be able to see the dial. *Enco had the Fowler co-axial
indicators on sale, then they had a code for free shipping plus a code for
discount, so I bought the Fowler indicator for close to the price of the
cheapie import. *I found out my Enco R-8 1/4" collet has considerable
runout, milled a .282 slot, took an extra setup to finish the trigger (5/16"
slot).

After I get set up to anodize, I'll strip it, clean it up, and try
anodizing!

RogerN

The co-axial indicator to buy is made in the USA by Blake.

http://www.blakemanufacturing.com/index.html