Posted to alt.home.repair
Steven L.[_2_] Steven L.[_2_] is offline

Default Is there a chemical antidote to bleach that will inactivate itinstantly?

On 4/9/2013 8:11 PM, Danny D. wrote:
I spilled a few drops of bleach on the rug, and immediately flushed it
with water, but the thought came to me that there might be an instant
chemical "antidote" to bleach (like there is with an acid:base).

Is there something (other than water dilution) that counteracts bleach?

Hydrogen peroxide--though you would probably need it in industrial
strength concentrations.

Hydrogen peroxide combined with sodium hypochlorite produces oxygen gas,
water, and chlorine gas. Chlorine gas can be toxic, but since you're
only neutralizing a few drops of Clorox, just keep the place well
ventilated and you'll be fine.

--
Steven L.