Posted to misc.consumers.house,rec.food.cooking
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Anti-stick utensils - cleans up in the dishwasher more readily?

On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 22:40:29 -0500, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

What's the deal about not putting pots and pans in the dishwasher? Our
Volrath s/s, bought in 1960, has had no damage in the dishwasher, certainly
comes out perfectly clean. I can understand keeping seasoned cast iron away
from the dw but ours has been passed on to the bachelor grandsons. We can
only hope they get rinsed out from time to time. Polly

In 1973 or so my first wife got a job and with her first [few?]
paycheck[s?] she bought a sears 'Potscrubber'[?] DW. I wasn't sold
on DWers and told her if it could get the camp pot clean, I'd be a
believer.

We'd bought an old aluminum pot at a garage sale when we were on
vacation in Maine. It'd had been used to steam shellfish on a
campfire for 2 weeks. Much of the camp wood was pine so this thing
was crusted with blackness. We transported it in a plastic bag. I'd
scrubbed and scraped and even used a belt sander to get the high spots
off. But it was black and yucky on the outside.

It took some convincing but I told her I'd keep running the DW until
the inside was clean again if she'd let me challenge that DW with the
camp pot.

I'm a believer! One trip through and that thing was shiny silver
again--- and the DW was none the worse for wear.

I don't do pots often-- but if there's room and the pot has more than
a oil film from boiling food, I'll use the DW.

[and if there's room but no pots I'll put a couple of the stovetop
grates in there.]

Jim