Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default end mill holder accuracy

On Apr 11, 11:54*pm, jon_banquer wrote:
On Apr 11, 11:41*pm, Cydrome Leader wrote:

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"jon_banquer" wrote in ...
On Apr 11, 3:44 pm, Cydrome Leader wrote:
jon_banquer wrote:
On Apr 11, 1:36?pm, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:
"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message

The question is are there rules of thumb for how much runout is
acceptable for a small machine like this?

Machine size does not matter.

The smaller the end mill diameter, the more important it becomes to minimize
runout.

He will need to learn how to tap the end mill in to reduce the
runout.

What is meant by tap the end mill?

You get a soft piece of brass or lead and you tap on the end mill
where the dial indicator shows the runout to be high. This maybe in
several places. You keep doing this till you have the least runout
possible. It's a very common procedure in machining jobs shops where
you have tooling that's been used and abused. Would you like me to see
if I can find a video for you that will walk you though the procedure?

-----------

For a Sherline, probably a short piece of 3/16 diameter brass rod and a jewelers hammer would be about right.

ok I know what you mean. I've been tapping on stuff to get in to seat
right in the lathe chuck. Soft stuff seems to get pinched between two of
the three jaws or just lines up in off angles if you just start to clamp
down on it.

As you clamp down on your part in a lathe chuck twist it as you
tighten the chuck. I find this helps to lower runout.

Doing what I suggested should also prevent the pinching you
mentioned / help to line up the part better / makes it seat right in
the chuck.