Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default end mill holder accuracy

On Apr 11, 3:30*pm, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:
"jon_banquer" wrote in ...

On Apr 11, 1:36 pm, "PrecisionmachinisT"

wrote:
"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message

The question is are there rules of thumb for how much runout is
acceptable for a small machine like this?

Machine size does not matter.

The smaller the end mill diameter, the more important it becomes to minimize
runout.

He will need to learn how to tap the end mill in to reduce the
runout.

Works well with reamers but not so sure end mills stay put.

I've had very good luck with tapping in end mills. Once indicated and
tapped in I tighten the holder nut a little more and then check it for
runout. If it's critical I make a test cut and then check again for
runout.