Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default end mill holder accuracy

Pete C. wrote:

Cydrome Leader wrote:

Jon Anderson wrote:
On 4/11/2013 9:30 AM, Cydrome Leader wrote:

Both of the A2Z endmills holders wobble about 0.005" or more. The runout
is clearly visible. The OD is better, but the bore is not concentric at
all.

Thanks for that input. I emailed some time back and asked if they'd
considered making holders for DA or small ER collets. They hadn't but
thought it interesting. I'll be wary of buying if they do, maybe buy one
first to check it out.
If I ever get my shop built back up once down under, that's something
I'd thought about making. (DA/ER holders)

The question is are there rules of thumb for how much runout is
acceptable for a small machine like this?

Depends what you are doing, but less is better. I have several such
Sherline holders, including some 1/8" that at the time, was a custom
order. All have detectable slop, though I've never bothered to measure.
It's not much, and I generally stick to 2 flute mills, and set the
corners 90 degrees to the set screw to minimize runout.

Are all Jacobs drill chucks junk now?

Why are you associating a name brand like Jacobs with a no-name junk
chuck? I've got a couple keyless Albrecht -type- chucks I'm sure were

well, I've seen the old Jacobs chucks and I have a new one. The new one
works, but feels like something from a $10 power tool. I can't imagine
mine is a fluke.

Counterfeit perhaps?

it's from sherline, not ebay, and works as it should, but it's no gem by
any means.