Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Macy[_2_] Robert Macy[_2_] is offline

Default Is there a chemical antidote to bleach that will inactivate it instantly?

On Apr 10, 5:02*pm, "Danny D." wrote:
On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 08:24:57 -0700 Robert Macy wrote:

1. pour distilled water onto the spots, wetting ocmpletely.

I'm curious why distilled water?

I assume speed is of the essence, when drops of bleach spill
on the carpet, so I would think, if the solution is dilution,
that plain old regular water would be as good and certainly
quicker.

distilled water has no 'unknown' thingies to get involved.

Also, just remembered from university chemistry. Bleach is an
oxygenator, the sun is an oxygenator. Both will dim out certain dyes
and both will 'brighten' some organic dyes. If you try to bleach out
organically based dyes of that type; the color of the stain just gets
more intense. However, with the bleach oxygenating the dye also makes
the dye soluble, and thus the colorations can be flushed from the
fabric, removing the stain [anyway that was my understanding at the
time]

Bleaching 'damage' can be reversed under certain circumstances.

As an experiment, I bleach fumigated a bright red apple peal
rendering it to a pale yellow color. Then reversed the bleaching
process by exposing the peal to SO gas, sulfurous oxide which steals
back the oxygen radical thus turned the apple peal back to a bright
red. SO is not to be confused with S02, sulfur dioxide. of note, I had
bleach fumigate the apple peal which left the oxygenated color
molecule in place, not removing it from the peal, so that the molecule
was still in place when the SO took back that oxygen molecule, thus
the color dye was in place to enable turning the peal bright red
again.