Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is there a chemical antidote to bleach that will inactivate it instantly?

On Apr 11, 12:45*am, "Danny D." wrote:
On Thu, 11 Apr 2013 00:43:26 +0000 Danny D. wrote:

When it's all done and dried, I'll snap a photo and post
the results. I guess what I'm looking for is for bleach spots
to NOT show up - but I'll wait for the test results before
making any assumptions.

Well, initial results aren't as perfect as one would have hoped:
*http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12660685.jpg

Maybe I did the experiment wrong.

I think the problem here is that you said you were
looking for an "instant" antidote to bleach. But in the test, you
waited 2 or 3 mimutes. Pure bleach out of the jug is powerful
and the damage is very likely done long before that amount
of time has elapsed. In the household accident scenario, if
you spilled just a few drops, ie a small amount, then flooding
it immediately with water is what I would do. Spill a few drops,
put a quart of water on it. It would not surprise me if even that
doesn't work, because the damage is already done.

Putting ammonia on it would be the last thing I'd do.
I think ammonia by itself could harm the carpet. And if you're
counting on it reacting with the bleach, like and acid and
lye would, you don't know the proper amounts, can't control
the area where it goes, etc.