Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wiring code -- across attic floor joists

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 02:12:14 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 9 Apr 2013 18:49:05 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

when this home was built in 1950 they ran the wires on top of the
joists and when 3 years ater i decided to add a floor it was a big
hassle

The trick for decking an attic with wires on top of the framing is to
add 1x2s purlins to space the deck up 3/4" and clear all of the wires.

I had to do this in my attic. It also gets you by that "6' from the
hole" problem.

If you have decent insulation up there you may even want to use
thicker stock so you are not crushing your insulation.

It would take 2X8s in my "attic".