Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default Is there a chemical antidote to bleach that will inactivate it instantly?

TimR wrote in
:

You didn't provide two good links. You provided one bull****
link and one slightly better one. No lie here.

I'm not the only one skeptical of that "chemist." Here's a snip
from a similar thread to this one:

**********
Ann Marie, you have performed an amazing feat. You say:

Likely Chemical Reactions from Mixing Bleach and Ammonia
The bleach decomposes to form hydrochloric acid, which reacts
with ammonia to form toxic chloramine fumes:

First the hydrochloric acid is formed:
NaOCl †’ NaOH + HOCl
HOCl †’ HCl + O

In my 40 year career as an industrial chemist I have never met
anyone before who could take two alkaline materials (sodium
hypochlorite and ammonium hydroxide) and mix them together to
form an acid!

Well, speaking of bullsh*t... obviously neither you nor the author
of that bunch of nonsense is really a chemist, despite your claims
to be. I am not, and do not claim to be, a chemist -- but I do
remember a few things from General Chem during my freshman year,
one of them being that an aqueous solution of ammonium hydroxide
is an example of what chemists call an amphoteric substance: it
reacts as a base in the presence of strong acids, and as an acid
in the presence of strong bases. Thus, ammonium hydroxide *will*
react with sodium hypochlorite, your insane delusions to the
contrary notwithstanding.