Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_17_] Frank[_17_] is offline

Default Is there a chemical antidote to bleach that will inactivate itinstantly?

On 4/10/2013 12:51 PM, wrote:
On Apr 10, 12:01 pm, TimR wrote:
You didn't provide two good links. You provided one bull**** link and one slightly better one. No lie here.

I'm not the only one skeptical of that "chemist." Here's a snip from a similar thread to this one:

**********
Ann Marie, you have performed an amazing feat. You say:

Likely Chemical Reactions from Mixing Bleach and Ammonia
The bleach decomposes to form hydrochloric acid, which reacts with ammonia to form toxic chloramine fumes:

First the hydrochloric acid is formed:
NaOCl †’ NaOH + HOCl
HOCl †’ HCl + O

In my 40 year career as an industrial chemist I have never met anyone before who could take two alkaline materials (sodium hypochlorite and ammonium hydroxide) and mix them together to form an acid! I have a favor to ask €“ I have a large lead brick that I would like to send you so you can turn it into gold for me. Ill help you with the equation: Lead + magic = gold
*****************

Now, in all the years we've been discussing this, and all the years before the internet that bleach and ammonia have been used, what is the number of deaths?

Still zero.

(deaths from other combinations are NOT zero)

THAT is your source? I give you the NEJM and you come up with a
quote from a discussion thread like this? You place credibility in
THAT
versus the NEJM and the dozens of govt agencies, health authorities
that you can find with a simple google?

Here is another example:

http://www.nj.gov/health/eoh/cehsweb/bleach_fs.pdf

What are the dangers of mixing these common cleaning
products?

Mixing bleach and ammonia:
When bleach is mixed with ammonia, toxic gases called chloramines are
produced. Exposure to
chloramine gases can cause:
€¢ coughing
€¢ shortness of breath
€¢ chest pain
€¢ wheezing
€¢ nausea
€¢ watery eyes
€¢ irritation to the throat, nose and eyes
€¢ pneumonia and fluid in the lung

You think the state of NJ is just making this up?
Your source for that no such effects exist, as you claim?

crickets......

You really, really are the village idiot!

Many year ago I was present in the chemistry department at CWRU when a
graduate student down the hall of the floor I was on was injured in an
explosion making chloramine for further reaction from bleach and
ammonia. He was cut but not seriously as all safety precautions like
ventilation and shields were in place.