Posted to alt.home.repair
chaniarts[_3_] chaniarts[_3_] is offline

Default Is there a chemical antidote to bleach that will inactivate itinstantly?

On 4/10/2013 7:19 AM, Danny D. wrote:
On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 06:12:55 -0700 wrote:

Who says the concentration is going to be "reasonable"
when you mix bleach and ammonia?

I looked up what bleach & ammonia does together:
http://chemistry.about.com/od/toxicc...nd-Ammonia.htm
and, "in quantity" it would be a bad thing.

But I think safety is a moot point simply because we're talking about
fewer than 5 or 10 drops of bleach on a carpet, which is then soaked
with the un-chlorine solution, whatever that might be.

The purpose is simply to save the carpet - and it would be easy
to vent the fumes, whatever few their may be from the tiny amount
of bleach compared to the amount of un-bleach used.

So far, the 'unbleach' suggestions seems to be:
- Water
- Ammonia
- Sodium sulfide
- Sodium metabisulfite
- Sodium thiosulfate
- ?

Since the solution has to be readily available in the household,
it seems like only the ammonia is something we'd have on hand
were a few drops of bleach to be accidentally spilled on the carpet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleach#...l_interactions

I will try it (OUTSIDE!) on a dyed towel and report back for
the team (with pictures). (If I don't report back ... )

sodium thiosulfate is sold in pet stores cheaply. it's used to remove
chlorine and chloromine from water for fish tanks.