View Single Post
  #14   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster

Default Is there a chemical antidote to bleach that will inactivate itinstantly?

On 4/10/2013 8:39 AM, TimR wrote:
On Wednesday, April 10, 2013 8:28:21 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
On 4/10/2013 8:10 AM, TimR wrote:

On Wednesday, April 10, 2013 12:23:32 AM UTC-4, wrote:

Do not mix bleach and ammonia unless you want to die. Seriously.

Urban legend.

There ARE some mixtures of products that are dangerous, but I'm not going to be more specific.

If you disagree with me, write the equation for the reaction.

Take it from a retired chemist.

Mixing bleach and ammonia makes chloramine which is not only highly

toxic but also explosive.

Uh, yeah. That's why our municipal water supply uses chloramine in our drinking water as a disinfectant.

(for those who don't know: The chlorine formerly used to give us safe drinking water could react with organics in the water supply and produce THMs, which are thought to be carcinogenic. So most water supplies now use chloramine, a mixture of chlorine and ammonia. It is a much weaker disinfectant than chlorine but longer lasting. It's also much harder to keep regulated, which is why sometimes your water may smell like scotch or chlorine. And yes, chloramine is toxic - to koi. Not to much else in reasonable concentrations)

And again I say: urban legend, and I throw the BS flag on your chemistry degree. Do you really not know the effect of pH on the equilibrium solubility of chlorine? Even we stupid engineers have that one figured out.

Concentration, Moron. Nothing in ppm quantities is going to explode.
How about you dump a quart each of household ammonia and bleach into
your toilet and report back to us?